Wednesday 14 November 2012

Research Map App

While researching for Lutetia: Darkness Beneath the City of Light, I wondered, 'Wouldn't it be great if you could do a side-by-side comparison of a Paris map from a few hundred years ago to today's map?'  Wait, there's an app for that, which I downloaded into my iPad.

Two things I noted while using this app.  Map making is certainly not the art form it used to be, look at that amazing detail (look at the Notre Dame Cathedral below). And secondly, the first manned hot-air balloon didn't happen until 51 years after this map was made - yet this map is surprisingly accurate in the layout of the Paris landscape and Seine River.


Paris 1734 Map App
 

NaNoWriMo update as of today (November 14, 2012) I'm just over 20,000 words.

-----
Excerpt of first few chapters available on official website (with bonus materials): http://lutetia.weebly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment